The Community Council provides the opportunity for members of the school, parish and Archdiocesan community to support the mission of Catholic education in a particular school. Working with the Parish Priest, Principal and staff the Council members provide leadership to the school community.
Fr Joshy Kurien
The Community Council has a decision-making role in certain policy areas and an advisory role in others. The policies of the school are always set within the wider mission of Catholic education. In the areas where it has responsibility for the development and monitoring of policy the Council operates within the policy and procedures determined by the Catholic Education Commission and the Catholic Education Office.
The Community Council has responsibility to make decisions in the following areas:
- supporting the development of the Catholic ethos of the school;
- supporting the pastoral care strategies;
- promoting the school in the local community;
- appointing a member to the schools enrolment committee;
- approving and monitoring of the school-based budget including the fees collection and remission policy;
- developing and monitoring of school enterprises
- developing capital and maintenance programs;
- developing local strategic plans (finances, buildings, resources) and contributing to Archdiocesan educational strategic planning;
- approving school uniform items decided at school level;
- ensuring that the parish and school community receives the Annual Report; and
The Community Council has responsibility to provide advice in areas such as:
- curriculum offerings;
- educational policies for the school e.g. reporting, homework;
- student welfare policies eg discipline, sun safe;
- parent support processes; and
- other matters as requested by the Parish Priest or Principal.